I figured at 35 weeks pregnant I should start preparing our hospital bags just in case. We have a scheduled c-section date of October 12th but I don’t think little man is going to stay put that long (and neither does my doctor!). All of my pregnancy conditions (polyhydramnios, high blood pressure and gestational diabetes) can lead to needing an early delivery. I’m hoping that is not the case but better safe than sorry! This is my second c-section delivery. The first time around, I was sent to the hospital with barely an hours notice. I forgot a ton of stuff and my husband had to keep running home. I’m hoping to avoid that this time. I’m also only taking the necessities. My hospital is really good about supplying most things we’ll need. I’m leaving my husband’s clothing needs up to him. I’ll pack everything else!
During our hospital stay:
- Baby Be Mine 3 in 1 Labor/Delivery/Nursing Gown – C-Section deliveries require 3 days in the hospital. The last thing I want is to be stuck in a hospital gown for that long. Last time I took yoga pants and they were so uncomfortable. They rubbed my incision area and were generally uncomfortable because I was so bloated from surgery. This delivery gown is roomy, buttons up the back, has snaps at the shoulders for easy nursing and an adjustable empire waist.
- PinkBlush Delivery Robe – I love this robe! It’s going to be the perfect extra layer over the gown for when guests are visiting or when I get chilly. PinkBlush has a wide selection of solid and printed delivery robes. I chose blue because we’re having a boy 🙂
- Fuzzy Gripper Socks x2 – I’m packing these for warmth and because the nurses will make me get out of bed to attempt walking several times a day. I don’t want to put my bare feet on the hospital floor!
- Flip Flops – Bathroom trips/shower. Enough said.
- Nursing Bra – I’m not sure I’ll actually need this while I’m wearing the nursing gown but I’m bringing it just in case. Last time I didn’t have a nursing bra or a nursing gown so I basically had to undress when I was learning how to breastfeed. My husband took far too many pictures of me exposed during this time! Not this time hubby.
- Nursing Pads – I love these Medela reusable nursing pads. They are so soft. These are a just in case item. Just in case my milk comes in full force while we’re at the hospital!
What I’m not bringing – underwear, pads, and breast pump. I actually prefer the mesh undies the hospital provides. They go above the c-section incision and are just super comfortable! I plan on taking several pairs home with me too! They also provide pads and any sort of breast feeding needs I may have. No sense in dragging all that stuff around.
- Travel size shampoo and conditioner
- Toothbrushes for both my husband and I
- Dry Shampoo – I won’t be allowed to shower for the first 24-48 hours. This will come in very handy!
- Hair Brush/Rubberbands
What I’m not bringing – makeup. Sorry but after getting my stomach cut open the last thing on my mind is makeup!
Going Home Outfit:
- Ingrid & Isabel Overbelly Maternity Leggings – These have been my favorite leggings the last few weeks. They were super affordable at Target and really soft and comfortable.
- PinkBlush Navy Rose Sweatshirt – I’m all about comfort for that hour ride home from the hospital! I love this soft and stretchy sweatshirt from PinkBlush Maternity. Plus, it’s so pretty!
- Medela Nursing Tank – After having a c-section it feels like your guts are going to fall out. Literally fall out. I picked up this slimming tank to hold it all in and provide support. The hospital provides a support band but I can’t wear that while sitting in the car so this is the next best thing! Plus if we need to stop to nurse on the way home I can do it easily.
- Slip on Shoes – I won’t be able to bend over for awhile so these knock off birks are the perfect solution!
- KB Cute Knotted Gown, KB Cute Beanies, KB Cute Swaddle Blanket (use code XOKERRY15 for 15% off anything at KB Cute Designs) – None of these things are really necessary. The hospital provides shirts, hats and swaddles for baby but I want a few special things from home. Especially so I can get some cute pictures of him!
- Going Home Outfit – Nothing fancy for our going home outfit! I love these Cloud Nine sleepers because they zip from the bottom for easy diaper changes.
- KB Cute Nursing Cover – I’m not sure I’ll need this but it never hurts to have one of these multi-use covers around!
What I’m not bringing – an outfit that goes over babies head (I’ll save that trauma for home!), diapers, wipes etc. The hospital will provide these. If I’m feeling extra spunky over the next few weeks, I’ll have my diaper bag (purse) packed with these things anyway.
- Driver’s license and insurance card
- Cell phone + charger
- iPad (mostly for Luke to watch TV on)
- Installed car seat
- Pillow (I like my pillow!)
I think that is it! What am I forgetting? It’s been 2.5 years since I did this last so I’m sure there is something. What are your hospital bag must haves?